In the 1960’s one event that touched nearly every American was the Civil Rights Movement. The election of President Kennedy ushered the United States into the 1960s with the New Frontier: a bold set of expectations, desires, and liberalism that expanded highly under Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society and quickly dissolved as the United States’ domestic environment fell into chaos and disarray. With the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, expanding drug culture and race riots transformed the United States from a land of unparalleled possibilities in the early 1960s to a nation facing numerous domestic challenges. This assignment will aid your understanding of how America granted equality to all minority groups and slowly moved toward diversity.
Using the Internet, locate and read Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream” speech given in Washington D.C., August 1963. Copy and paste the following keywords into your Google search bar: “I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King, Jr.” Feel free also to locate and incorporate additional scholarly sources to respond to this case study, including information on the Civil Rights Movement.
Construct the case study by responding to the following prompts:
- Explain if the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s effectively changed the nation?
- What effect would the Civil Rights Acts have across the continent on minority groups?
- Do you think that the tactics and strategies that civil rights activists used in the 1960s would apply to today’s racial and ethnic conflicts? Why or why not?
- Do the ideas of the 1960s still have relevance today? If so how? If not, why not?
- Analyze how the Civil Rights Movement would impact diversity in America today?
Include a documented example of the primary source. Make sure to cite and reference sources. Make sure that the writing is clear, well-developed, and free from spelling and grammatical errors.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 2-3 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 1 primary source)
- Use in-text citations that correspond with your end reference
I asked for 2 sources but you can use more or less. Please add URL address (if you use web address) when doing references. Thank you