PSYC102 General Psychology Written Assignment Instructions
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to assess your critical thinking, writing, information literacy, and technological competency.
- Identify a theory or concept in the required textbook for this class on any topic related to psychology that you would like to explore (look through the required textbook’s content pages to identify the topic of your interest). Write an introduction explaining your choice of the topic and the theory or concept related to it.
- Explain the theory or concept as you understand it (describe its key points).
- Formulate a research question and a hypothesis that you would use to study this theory (see Chapter 1 of the required textbook for guidance but do not reuse the sample questions or hypotheses provided in the textbook). Your research question and hypothesis must be must be written in your own words.
- Select and describe a research method (descriptive, correlational, or experimental) that you would use to test your hypothesis (see Chapter 1 of the required textbook).
- Describe who would be your potential research participants if you were to conduct this study in real life; provide your sample size, that is, how many participants and groups you would need for the research method you selected (caution: you must not attempt to approach or recruit anyone for this research paper; you are required to write a proposal, not to conduct a real study).
- Discuss the ethical requirements that you would need to follow if you were to conduct this study in real life (see Chapter 1 of the required textbook).
- Discuss the data analysis strategy that you would use to analyze your prospective data (see Appendix A in the required textbook).
- Concluding remarks (summarize what you have learned while writing your paper and how this knowledge will help you to better understand psychology).
You do not need an abstract as some APA style papers have.
Use your textbook to support your points. You must use APA style to cite the textbook whenever you write something that is not your own thought. Also, provide a full reference to the required textbook in a reference page. You must not use any media references or internet sources when writing this paper. Your paper must be written in your own words.
You can take the Academic Integrity/Plagiarism Tutorial and the APA Citations tutorial (available at the library website under “Quizzes and Tutorials”) to learn more about the academic integrity and the APA style of writing and citing.
The paper should include a total of 5 (five) pages: 3 (three) pages of main text, plus a title page and a reference page. The paper must be double spaced, 12-point font, Times New Roman, APA style. Use the preformatted APA 6th edition template provided in Blackboard for this assignment to write your paper.
Total 20 points
A theory or concept identified and its main points explained – 2 points
A research question and a hypothesis formulated – 2 points
A research method described – 3 points
A sample of participants described – 3 points
Ethical requirements discussed – 3 points
Data analysis strategy discussed – 3 points
Concluding remarks provided – 2 points
APA style and format followed – 2 points.